New York Yankees legend Yogi Berra recently passed away at the age of 90, and he left behind a gigantic legacy in the game of baseball and beyond.
While he was certainly known for his exploits on the field, Berra might have been even more famous for his paradoxical and whimsical quotes about the game and life in general. By now, everyone knows his classic quotes, but he had so many others that haven’t got their rightful day in the sun.
We’re here to change that! Here are 15 lesser-known Yogi Berra quotes that you’re sure to love:
1) No one ever got rich quickly, or quick richly.
2) Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, baseball bat to the face.
3) Yes, roast beef on wheat. Light mayonnaise, no mustard.
4) You ever notice how a couple of baseballs are a lot like two small breasts or two large testicles?
5) I don’t have anything against Puerto Ricans, I just don’t want them in the game.
6) “Base”ball and “base”less criminal charges. That can’t be a coincidence.
7) I experience the weight of this great national pastime during every game. I, as a ballplayer, feel tremendous pressure to live up to the ideals baseball has come to represent to the American populace and it would be faulty to – What’s that?…Jesus, fine…When you hit the ball hard, it goes far. There, you happy? Friggin’ a-holes.
8) Give me one good reason why I shouldn’t take this bat to Steinbrenner’s skull.
9) If you’ve ever seen a monkey holding a gun trying to peel it like a banana, you know what I’m talking about.
10) When you come to a fork in the road, take it to the Olive Garden for the never-ending pasta bowl!
11) You see, the universe is expanding at a rate of E. Light is also a constant, so we’ll call that C. The mass of the earth will be M, of course, so you can see where this is going.
12) The Yankees suck, and New York sucks.
13) Pitcher? I hardly know her!
14) If one more person asks me about a pic-a-nic basket, I’m going to lose my fucking mind.
15) I name all my baseball bats for people I admire. This one is the Joltin’ Joseph McCarthy; this here is Jack the Gripper. This little beauty is the Chairman Mao Mauler and, of course, here is the Big Bad Lincoln Log.